Tag Archives: Hacks

AUX in Volvo HU-XXXX radio

via Dangerous Prototypes

2015-11-03 23.33.15

Karl Hagström wrote an article detailing how he hacked the stereo (HU-650) in his Volvo V70 (2007) and added his own AUX input:

Why, why, why isn’t there an AUX input on my car stereo from 2007?
Yes 2007 was before the big era of smartphones, but everyone owned a couple of dirt cheap mp3 players and iPod was a big thing.
The HU that my car is fitted with has two super retro 8-pin DIN-connections on the back. One of which is for connecting a CD-changer “CD-CHGR” that you could have installed in the boot of the car – but who uses CDs these days?
It didn’t take allot of research to find out there is already a product out there that lets you add an AUX to you HU-xxxx. The only drawback is that it sets you back $80 and most of all: It doesn’t come with the awesome feeling that you get when you have hacked the stereo yourself.

More details at Gizmosnack blog.

Butchered USB TTL serial adaptor

via Dangerous Prototypes

26982444156_637bd86d93_c-600

Turning a USB to RS232 adaptor into a USB to TTL serial adaptor by Aaron Brady:

I didn’t want to wait, so I had a look around what we had on hand. We did have a spare RS232 to USB adaptor. This one speaks the full ±15V, and I briefly considered using one of the spare MILSPEC SP232’s we got cheap to bring it down to TTL, but that seemed mad: there was going to be a MAX232 or similar in the serial adaptor bringing it up to voltage so it could go a couple of centimetres before getting stepped down again.
Here begins our adventure into very small wires, fine SMT soldering and hot glue.
We popped open the case, and there were two main ICs, a Prolific 2303 (the USB to Serial IC) and a ADM3251E (the RS232 line level convertor). I tried to desolder this with no success, but Bas stepped in, cut the leads with a craft knife and ran the iron over the chip’s leads and it basically fell off. He also did the very fine soldering to pins 1 and 5 of the Prolific chip, TX and RX respectively.

Project info at Aaron’s blog.

Hacking a UART where there never was before

via Dangerous Prototypes

Omron

Thanks to Andrew for sharing – check out the full post on their blog, MOAM Industries.

As part of a prototype developed 12 months ago I was tasked with reading measurements from a blood pressure cuff [sphygmomanometer] in real time. Not surprisingly there are no consumer level devices that have a serial interface because what ‘normal’ person would want such a thing!
Initially we considered our own interface for a blood pressure cuff. Just run the pump and take the readings with our own processor and pressure sensor, how hard can it be. Rather difficult it seems, the processing and knowledge required to develop a device to perform even rudimentary readings would have completely blown the time budget. Instead we looked to hack an existing device, enter the Omron RS8.

Details at MOAM Industries blog.

Via the contact form.

BeagleBone Black GPIO Benchmark

via Dangerous Prototypes

beaglebone2-825x510

Joonas Pihlajamaa from Code and Life writes, ” I’ve previously made a GPIO benchmark of Raspberry Pi 1 and 2, and have always wanted to see how BeagleBone Black would stack against the Pis. I recently got one so the obvious thing to do was to see how fast the little thing could go.  Turns out, the little thing needed a bit more work than the Pi, but the results were quite interesting.”

More details at Code and Life homepage.

Via the contact form.

Bringing a vintage telegraph into the digital age

via Dangerous Prototypes

DSC_6897-600

Kyle Gabriel writes:

I recently inherited a key on board (KOB) telegraph that my late grandfather used to practice Morse code with when he was a kid (Figure 1). A little bit of curiosity of how it would work and a little bit of displeasure from seeing it sit and collect dust, I began a journey to resurrect the old machine and develop some software to bring it into the digital age.

More details at Kyle Gabriel’s blog.

Check out the video after the break.